Before we explain how to alleviate shoulder pain, do we understand what pain is?
Pain is an unpleasant sensation and an emotional experience related to tissue damage. Its purpose is to allow the body to react and prevent additional tissue damage. We feel pain when a signal is sent through the nerve fibers to the brain for interpretation.
It can be so difficult to sleep well at night. All too often, the pain in the shoulder can keep you from falling and remaining asleep. Here are some tips to improve the quality of your sleep if you have shoulder problems:
1. Avoid sleeping on your stomach.
2. Try to sleep on the opposite side of the bad shoulder.
3. Use good support for your head.
4. Use a body pillow.
5. Do hesitate to try different tips and positions to sleep.
CONSIDER A LATEX MATTRESS FOR SHOULDER PAIN
Latex mattresses are known for their ability to promote the natural alignment of the spine. Latex mattresses are among those that are highly recommended by osteopaths and chiropractors. When lying on one, try the following:
- Use two pillows, with the upper pillow staggered slightly backward from the lower pillow.
- Try lying on your side or on your back. Have the lower pillow that supports your shoulders and the upper pillow that holds your neck.
- Hug a pillow, as this will put your upper shoulder in an open position. Place the pillow under the arm.
- Use a pillow between your legs when you are on your side or behind your thighs if you are lying on your back. This helps relieve the pressure on your entire spine.
- Use deep, gentle breathing when you lie down for the first time, to calm your body and improve the flow of oxygen to your muscles, helping them to relax.
When learning how to alleviate shoulder pain and knowing your best options to do so, you should check out A TENS unit.
TENS, or transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, is a pain treatment that uses low-voltage electrical current to mix pain signals in your body. TENS is usually done with a TENS unit, a small device that runs on batteries. The device can be attached to a belt and is connected to two electrodes. A transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation machine (TENS) works by creating a tingling or buzzing sensation in the skin. This can help block or suppress pain messages in your brain. TENS Units also helps to stimulate our body to produce higher levels of our own natural painkiller, called endorphins.
Learn more about how to alleviate shoulder pain here.